November 19, 2009

Changing My Name . . .


As everyday passes the closer I know the day is coming that my marriage license will arrive and I go from a Motley to an Ordan. (*Insert --> Panic Attack*) I can't explain why this is such a challenging obstacle in my life at the moment. I LOVE Jesse why wouldn't I want to have his last name??? This is such a beautiful tradition that has been around for years. Why do I have a problem with this? I have been debating this for weeks! I honestly didn't think twice about it before the wedding but it has been on my mind ever since. Motley just defines who I am as a person. It is how I am recognized, it identifies my family and it is all I have known for 27 years of my life. How do I just change that after a few hours and saying "I do?"
I don't want to upset Jesse by not changing to his name (he may not even care) but it is tradition. Every woman I know has changed their name. I know I can't even ask Jesse to take my name. . . yeah right!! So I guess this just leads me to realize that I am now Jesse's wife, Mrs. Ordan, "Mrs" and a married woman!
If it is so easy to become a "Mrs" then why does it take so long to legally change your last name??? I'm dreading this part! Not only do I have to re-structure my name so I can have four names appear on my social security card but I have to stand in lines for hours! I have to change my social security card, driver's license, credit cards, debit cards and etc! If I can become Mrs. Jesse Ordan by just saying "I do" then Jesse will be standing right next to me while I stand in these long lines and being on the phone with customer service. My pain is his pain right?!?!? :) I'm loving this marriage already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment